Make a difference working on something over 550,000 people love
This is the best online tool for academics since the internet itself. If you search an article online, kopernio tries to find its PDF, which, if found, is then only one click away.—Cecile Janssens (@cecilejanssens) 24 January 2019
Started using Kopernio (@kopernio), and it's been amazing. Installed as a browser plugin and provides one-click access to paper PDFs, either by searching open-access databases or via your library's subscriptions (you login only once). Highly recommend!—Tanush Jagdish (@TanushJagdish) 16 May 2019
Installed the Kopernio extension to Chrome yesterday, and so far it's delivered pdfs of the articles I wanted smoothly without hassle, which has done wonders for my blood pressure.— Malcolm von Schantz (@mvonschantz) 29 Dec 2019
What we do
Our team helps to advance human knowledge by making research more accessible. Our vision is to form the backbone for scientific communication and facilitate the seamless spread of scholarly research.
Kopernio provides over 550,000 researchers with one-click access to academic journal articles wherever they are. We help researchers discover, collaborate and build on each other’s work as they solve the biggest problems facing humanity.
We are a small and growing team. Our values mirror those held by the researchers and scientists that we aim to solve problems for. We are motivated by:
- We love to explore new ideas, to discover different approaches or to learn more about the unknown and unexplained.
- We see the positive in change and recognise that the path of progress is paved with uncertainty.
- Things don’t always go to plan… but hey, we all know experiments sometimes don't work out as expected. Failing at something can teach us more than success.
- We’re open and honest; we own both the successes and failures of our work.
Life at Kopernio
The founders earned their stripes building startups and bring with them an entrepreneurial spirit and drive to succeed. You will be surrounded by people that love to make change happen, and get things done well, working closely together as a team.
Joining Kopernio gives you the best of the startup and corporate worlds. We live and breathe the startup spirit, and since our acquisition by Clarivate you know that your career progression and skills advancement are in the budget, as well as loads of other “big company” benefits and perks.
Like any startup you can expect regular company lunches and hanging out. We’re a friendly (if slightly geeky 🤓) bunch. Every week we take turns presenting interesting research papers at our journal club (recent highlights include the ethics of self-driving cars, the psychology at play when you wear red to a job interview and a fun introduction to the physics of the ʻOumuamua). On Thursday evenings some of us like to unwind at the Arch bouldering wall. We also like bowling, and ping pong and looking after our growing nursery of cacti and spider plants. We have plenty of future adventures planned - ranging from attending The Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition to urban foraging for mushrooms…
If you want to build the tools that help scientists shine, then this is the team for you.
- Regular cross-functional knowledge-sharing sessions with the team
- The cost of business-related professional membership subscriptions can be covered (at your manager's discretion)
- Your manager reviews your salary every 12 months
- Proactive pay increases to reflect growing responsibilities
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus bank holidays - please use them all!
- For every year of service you'll get another day of holiday (up to 30 days total).
- If you don't use all your holiday you can carry over up to 5 days to the Q1 of the following year.
⛑️ Health & Wellbeing
- Paid sick leave
- Private medical insurance through Cigna (optional and part funded by us)
- Our Employee Assistance Programme offers a 24/7 confidential advice line for health, legal & bereavement support (and loads more)
- Regularly delivered fresh fruit in the office (coffee, tea and hot chocolate machine too)
- We'll pay up to 50% of your gym membership
- Eye care and glasses vouchers
- We’ll automatically enrol you into our pension scheme
- We offer a 6% employer contribution (You get 100% of your salary, then we'll put 6% extra into the pension)
- You’ll need to pay 3% too, and you can opt to pay more for the tax benefits!
- You can opt out if you’d prefer not to have a pension at all
- Weekly lunch at our Friday journal club - where we discuss a cool academic paper that caught our attention
- Regular company-wide fun-days like kayaking, board games nights, etc.
- Interest based clubs like bouldering. You can form your own too!
- Attendance is 100% optional - you can pop along, or not, no pressure.
- Up to 26 weeks paid maternity leave
- Up to 2 weeks paid paternity leave
- Possibility of shared parental leave
- Complementary life assurance
📆 Flexible working hours
- We trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team
- We’re a member of the cycle-to-work scheme
- We have a generous interest-free loan scheme for quarterly, half yearly or annual season tickets for trains, buses and coaches (you'll need to pass your probation first though)